Week 10 Storylab

Advice from Writers

I love to write dialogue, especially when rewriting a story that doesn't have enough dialogue. I think dialogue helps personalize the character more and is able to help the reader connect more to the character. This author says "I envision the scene; I can imagine them up there on the screen; I try to imagine what they would be saying and how they would be saying it. And I keep it in character." I like the part where he says he can imagine them up there on the screen. It's like maybe I can imagine the characters being in a movie and they are saying these dialogues that I write. 

I think this one actually opened my eyes a lot. This author says writer's block is "a way of saying the writing you are trying to do came out so badly you're not willing to go through with it." I realized that is actually so true because there have been times where I have started writing a story and then quit because I didn't like how it was going so I would just delete it and play it off that it was writer's block or that I couldn't come up with anything.

This is actually me sometimes. Source: Angela Scott.

Comments

  1. Hi Shivani,

    I also have trouble incorporating dialogue in my stories. That's good advice to envision the scene. I think asking whether or not that part of the story is a scene will help me include dialogue when it's needed. Writer's block is also something that I somewhat struggle with. Something that I might try to get over it is to let my thoughts flow more and be ok with doing more revisions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Psychologist.

Week 9 Story: Anansi the... wise?