Wikipedia Trails: Eskimo to Patagonia

I started this trail off with the article about Eskimos. I was curious about the Eskimo people because they were one of the tribes mentioned for the readings these last two weeks. I learned that the word "eskimo" means "a person who laces a snowshoe." It is derived from the word ayaskimew from the Innu-aimun language.

From there I went to the article about the Seward Peninsula. I was curious about this because this is one I have never heard of before. This peninsula projects about 200 miles out from the western coast of Alaska into the Bering Sea. It is named after the U.S. Secretary of State, William H. Seward, who fought for the purchase of Alaska.

Next I went to the article about a maar. A maar is a broad, low-relief volcanic crater. It is a caused by an explosion which occurs when groundwater comes into contact with with hot lava or magma. Some of the largest known maars are found on the Seward Peninsula.

The last article I went to was about Patagonia. Patagonia is a region at the southern end South America, a region shared by both Chile and Argentina. I was curious about this because I have heard about the brand, Patagonia, so I was wondering if this was what it was named after. After doing more diving into other articles, I found out that the logo for the Patagonia clothing company is actually the outline of Mount Fitz Roy which is the border between Chile and Argentina.

Mount Fitz Roy. Source: Wikimedia Commons.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Psychologist.

Week 9 Story: Anansi the... wise?