Wikipedia Trails: From West Africa to Turkey

I started the trail off with West Africa. The readings I did for this week were all from West Africa so I wanted to learn more about it. Back in middle school geography, I used to know a lot about Africa in general. Somethings I already knew were that Great Britain and France both controlled almost the entire region. One new thing I learned is that overfishing is a big issue in this region. The foreigners who fish using the big nets reduce fishing stocks in this region which causes problems in availability of food.

The next article I went to was the Treaty of Versailles article. This is the treaty that ended World War 1. It was signed on June 28, 1919, exactly five years after the assassination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand which led to World War 1 to start.

Next I went to the article about The Inquiry. It was study group established by Woodrow Wilson in 1917. The purpose of the group was to gather and prepare materials for the peace negotiations for World War 1. The group consisted of about 150 academics.

The last article I went to was one about Turkey. Istanbul, which is the largest city in Turkey, is one of the cities on my bucket list. I was curious to read up more on Turkey because I have found out through watching a Turkish show that the Turkish language and the Hindi language share quite a few common words. I wanted to see what the connection was. I found it was the influence of the Moghul influence in India when they ruled, and the Persian influence on the Ottoman Empire in. Most of the words that sound familiar in both Hindi and Turkish both have Persian/Farsi influences..

Istanbul, Turkey. Source: Wikimedia Commmons

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Psychologist.

Week 9 Story: Anansi the... wise?