Week 7 Story: Dear Diary: Today was Crazy.

Dear Diary,

Today was crazy! I was on one of my daily walks where I go wander around when I saw this giant tree. It was hollow inside so I was able to step inside of it. When I looked up the tree, I saw rays of sunshine just pouring in. After my little stop, I kept walking a little more and that's when the craziness started. 

In the distance I saw this girl, with a red coat and barefoot, just running as fast as the wind. I stopped for a mere second and she was already right in front of me. She begged me to help her because someone was following her, trying to capture her. I wondered why anyone would be chasing a little girl like her. When I asked her why she was being chased, she only told me to not tell the man that I saw her. And after that she ran to the giant tree and crawled inside.

I wanted to stay and see what would happen to the girl. But I also had more wandering to do so I left. As I walked a little more ahead, a man riding an armored steed came up to me. The man looked like he was wearing an armor made of gold. He had a bow hung on one shoulder and a sword hung at his side. He looked like a warrior to me. He had an angry, but determined look on his face.

He stopped me and asked me if I had seen a girl running around here. I figured this was probably the same man looking for that girl. It was weird because he didn't look like a bad man to me. I told him I hadn't seen her but the man only got angrier. I wondered if he could he tell I was lying? I think he did because he yelled at me to not lie. Then he told me something crazy. He said the girl was not a real girl. She was an ogre, but not just any ordinary ogre. She was a flying ogre! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. The warrior then told me that there were thousands more like her and that they bring ruin to human. He had already slain a countless amount. But this girl, or should I say ogre now, was the worst one apparently. 

The man was actually a messenger of the skies, and was given an order from the Lord of the Heavens to come down and slay all of these ogres. Apparently there were 8,000 of these messengers down here on Earth out slaying these ogres. The messenger said if I didn't tell him where the girl was, then I would be sinning. Being a monk, I knew I couldn't commit this sin so I pointed the man towards the tree where the girl was hiding. I watched as he rode off on his horse towards the tree. Pretty soon, I saw a small, red flame come out from the top followed by the messenger. They both rose into the sky and disappeared. I was too shocked to even move that I just sat there for a while. Soon after, there was a rainfall but the rain was red. I realized it was blood and looked up. The messenger had probably hit the ogre with an arrow or something.

Diary, I realized I probably should start to wander less. I might end up in a situation like this again and quite frankly, I'm old and I don't have the energy for this now.

The giant tree the ogre hides in. Source: Wikimedia Commons
Author's Note: I have been wanting to do a "dear diary" theme for one of my stories and I thought this would be perfect. I've kept mostly everything thing the same as the original story. Instead, I just wrote this from the monk's point of view. I took out some original dialogue from the story. 

"The Flying Ogre." R. Wilhelm.

Comments

  1. Hi Shivani!
    I loved the concept you did for your story! I have never tried a "dear diary" theme before, so I might try it seeing how fun it is! I wonder if the girl was an actually an ogre. The story left me wondering which character was right - the man or the girl? Great story, and I can't wait to read more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shivani!
    I really enjoyed this "dear diary" format. Even though I want to know if the girl was actually an ogre, I like just having the perspective of an unreliable narrator simply telling what he experienced with no clarity or certainty. Really fun perspective on it, can't wait to read what else you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shivani! I really liked the dear diary format! Also I liked the concept of your story! The monk was caught in a dilemma between breaking a promise and not sinning. I wished I could have seen more struggle because his character definitely thought about it! If you are doing a portfolio and want to use it, add more, if not its a great story for how few words we have!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shivani!
    I really enjoyed your story. I LOVE the dear diary concept of writing. I think it provides more of an insight into the feelings of the writer. I am actually writing my storybook in this way because I enjoy it that much. I also loved how the title was just "today was crazy". It makes the reader very curious about what could be so crazy without giving anything away. Great story!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Psychologist.

Week 9 Story: Anansi the... wise?